My Spouse Is Also A Physician, How Do We Coordinate Careers?
- If both physician’s careers are equally important to the partners choose which career is in the least demand and make it the priority job, the more in demand specialist has more options.
- Follow the money first. Make the priority the job with the most pay to support the family
- Decide if future or current child-care is a priority, and which partner will be responsible. That partners’ career becomes secondary and potentially part-time.
- Commute for a short period of time until the partner can relocate, or kids can get out of school.
- If one partner is still in training, the second partner can make decisions on job choice and live in two places commuting via plane, train or automobile until the other is finished.
Life as a partner in a relationship will inevitably involve compromise. Sit down with your partner and try to map out a reasonable plan based on priorities and timelines but know even the best plans can have unexpected turns of events, so be prepared to be flexible.